SquareTrade Australia Pty Ltd.
Last Updated: 28 July, 2022
“Personal Information” refers to information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. “Personal Information” does not include de-identified information.
Table of Contents
2. Information We Collect And How We Collect It
3. Use Of Your Personal Information
4. Sharing Your Personal Information
5. Cookies And Other Tracking Technologies
6. Your Rights And Choices
7. Other Choices
8. Data Transfers, Storage And Processing Globally
9. Social Media, Links And External Sites
11. Contact Information
Information We Collect and How We Collect It. We collect various information about you in several ways and from several sources including:
- Directly from you when you contact us or use our services or products. Information collected may include name, address and other important identifying information,
- Automatically when you interact with us online. Information collected may include IP address, cookies, browsing history and other device or internet information,
- From other parties to help us set up, manage, protect or service your account, such as consumer reporting agencies, service providers, marketing companies and data providers, and
- From third parties, such as affiliates or partners, when you request products, services or information from us through such affiliates or partners.
Use of Your Personal Information. We use your information for many different reasons, including to:
- Provide and maintain your account, services and products,
- Respond to any communications from you, including any claims you may have,
- Perform analytics and research studies to improve, develop and protect our sites, applications, services and products,
- Let you know about updates or important information about your products,
- Provide marketing or advertising that might be of interest to you, and
- Protect our business, services, customers, sites or comply with legal requirements.
Sharing Your Personal Information. We do not sell your information. We do share your information with others for business purposes, including with:
- Our affiliates,
- Service providers, such as call centres, repair depots, supply chain and logistics partners, and IT providers,
- Online and other marketing and advertising partners,
- Third parties in connection with any corporate reorganization or sale transaction, and
- Law enforcement, regulators and other parties for legal reasons.
Data Transfers, Storage And Processing Globally. We operate globally and are likely to disclose the Personal Information that we collect and hold about you to our affiliates or partners companies, service providers, or third parties who are not in Australia for one or more of the purposes set out in this Policy. Although some of these third parties may be located in countries that have less protective privacy and data protections laws than Australia, wherever your Personal Information is transferred, stored or processed by us, we take reasonable steps to safeguard the privacy of your Personal Information in accordance with privacy laws.
Cookies and Tracking Technologies. When you visit our sites or applications, view our emails or interact with our advertising, we and our service providers automatically collect information about your use of and access to the sites or applications and the device used. We collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, flash objects, web beacons and similar technology. This information may be combined with Personal Information we collect directly and may be used to improve, enhance and personalize your experience, monitor and improve our sites and applications and for other internal purposes.
You may also have the right to make other choices about the use or sharing of your information for marketing purposes and may have additional rights to view or correct your Personal Information.
We collect Personal Information about you in several different ways and from several sources. We collect Personal Information from you when you provide it to us directly, including when you create an account with us, request products, services or information from us, register a claim with us, purchase products or services from us, participate in public forums or other activities on our sites, applications, or other services, send us messages or posts, respond to consumer surveys, or otherwise interact with us. Such forums or services may be subject to separate terms and conditions.
When you visit, download, and/or interact with our sites or applications, we and service providers use automatic data collection technologies such as cookies, flash cookies and web beacons to make our sites and applications more useful to you. These technologies collect information about your equipment, internet connection, browsing actions, and patterns, including Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, internet service provider ("ISP"), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We and service providers also collect certain Personal Information when you download and use our applications, including your geographic location, how you use the applications, and the type of device you use. For example, if you elect to receive SQT Personal Cloud storage services from us, we and our service providers may access Personal Information to the extent necessary for the purpose of providing these services to you, including contact lists, SMS messages, call logs, photos and video library, documents and music. In the event our applications crash on your mobile device, we may receive information about your mobile device model, software version and device carrier. We may also collect information about you from third parties such as service providers and marketing companies.
The following are the categories of Personal Information that we may have collected about you for and examples of the Personal Information that fall into those categories:
PERSONAL INFORMATION CATEGORIES
Name, alias, signature, postal address, email address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, internet protocol (IP) address, phone number, description of your physical characteristics, insurance policy number, family member information, bank account number, credit card number or other payment or financial information, date of birth, driver's license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
Records of personal property, account name, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
INTERNET OR OTHER ELECTRONIC NETWORK ACTIVITY INFORMATION
Browsing history, search history, information regarding your interaction with our websites, application or advertisement, and mobile device information including device identifier or other.
Audio, electronic, visual or similar information.
Physical location or movements.
SQT PERSONAL CLOUD
Photos, videos, call logs, messages, contacts, music, and documents.
Our sites are not intended for children. We do not market any products or services to children under the age of thirteen (13) or knowingly collect any information from children under the age of thirteen (13). We also do not sell the Personal Information of minors under sixteen (16) years of age.
We use your Personal Information and other information for business purposes including to:
- Provide and maintain your services and products. We may use your Personal Information to create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us, provide you with features or services or otherwise register you with our services. We may also use your Personal Information to process your requests, purchases, transactions, payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- Improve, develop and analyze our sites, services and products. We use your Personal Information and other information to:
- analyze, improve, develop or deliver our Sites, products and services and develop new services, products or features using algorithms, analytics software and other similar methods,
- conduct actuarial or research studies to maintain, protect and develop our networks, services, and products and protect our customers, and
- analyze how visitors use our Sites to improve the Sites and enhance and personalize your experience.
We collect some information used for these purposes using analytics software, cookies and other tracking technologies. For more information about the collection and use of this information, see Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies below.
- Communicate with you about your service or product. We may communicate with you about your account or transactions with us, respond to your comments, questions or requests, provide customer service, provide you with notices or other communications, and send you information about features on our sites, applications, or other services or changes to our policies. With your consent, we may also post your testimonial along with your name and other information on our sites or other media channels.
- Provide marketing communications. We may use your Personal Information to send you marketing communications (including newsletters, e-mails, direct mail, and phone calls), to send you offers and promotions for our products and services, and to personalize content and experiences on our sites or applications.
- Comply with legal requirements and protect the safety and security of our business, services, and sites. We may use your Personal Information to comply with laws, regulations or other legal obligations, to assist in an investigation, to protect and defend our rights and property or the rights of third parties or enforce terms and conditions. We may also use your Personal Information to prevent suspected fraud, threats to our network or other illegal activities, prevent misuse or for any other reason permitted by law. We may use your Personal Information to protect our company, our affiliates, our customers, our network and our sites from fraud, or cyber security purposes, or to enforce our terms and conditions with you.
- Update or correct our records. We may receive Personal Information about you from other sources, including publicly-available databases, affiliates or third parties from whom we have lawfully purchased data, and combine that Personal Information with other Personal Information we have about you to update our records. For example, we may obtain change of address information from public sources and use that Personal Information to update or correct your address information.
We do not sell your Personal Information. We may share your Personal Information with our affiliates for business purposes consistent with the uses described in this Policy. We may also share information about you with third parties whenever you consent to or direct such sharing. We strive to work with companies that share our commitment to privacy. We may also share information with others in an aggregated or de-identified form that does not reasonably identify you.
We may also share your Personal Information or other information with service providers and other third parties for business purposes or as required or permitted by law including with:
- Service providers: We may share your Personal Information with service providers, such as vendors, consultants, and other service providers, which process Personal Information on our behalf and to whom we disclose Personal Information for a business purpose pursuant to a written contract.
- Marketing and advertising partners: We may share Personal Information and other information with third party online and other marketing and advertising partners or permit these partners to collect information from you directly on our sites to facilitate online advertising. The Cookies and other Tracking Technologies section below has more details about these activities.
- Third parties in connection with a business transaction: Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a merger, sale of any or all of our company assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by an affiliate or third party, or in the event of a bankruptcy or related or similar proceeding.
- Law enforcement, regulators and other parties for legal reasons: Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties, as required by law or subpoena, or in connection with any legal proceedings or claims or exercise of any legal rights.
Technologies and Information Collected: When you visit our sites, we and our service providers automatically collect information about your use of and access to these sites. We collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, flash objects, web beacons (also called pixel tags), embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, and similar technology (collectively, “tracking technologies”). Information we collect automatically about you may be combined with other Personal Information we collect directly. The information collected in this manner includes:
- The site from where you accessed our sites, where you went to when you left the sites, how frequently you visit the sites, when and whether you open emails or click the links contained in emails, pages you visit on our sites, the links you click and ads you view, or your location when you access our sites,
- Information about the computer, tablet, smartphone or other device you use, such as your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, platform type, device type/model/manufacturer, operating system, date and time stamp, a unique ID that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, mobile device or your account (including, e.g. a persistent device identifier or an Ad ID), and other similar information,
- Analytics information collected by us or via third party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the sites and to understand more about the demographics and behaviours of our users, and
- How often you use a mobile app, from where the app was downloaded, events that occur within the app, aggregated usage, and performance data.
Use of the information: We or our service providers may use the information collected through tracking technologies to improve, enhance and personalize your customer experience, to monitor and improve our sites and for other internal purposes such as:
- Remembering information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the sites,
- Provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content and advertising,
- Identify and contact you across multiple devices,
- Provide and monitor the effectiveness of our sites,
- Perform analytics and detect usage patterns on our sites,
- Diagnose or fix technology problems,
- Detect or prevent fraud or other harmful activities, and
- Otherwise to plan for and enhance our sites.
Our service providers include Adobe and Google. To learn about Adobe Analytics privacy practices or to opt-out of cookies set to facilitate reporting, click here. To learn more about Google’s privacy practices, click here. To access and use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, click here.
Your choices regarding cookies: If you prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to change your browser settings to disable existing cookies, automatically request cookies or to notify you when you receive a cookie. However, if you disable, modify, or reject cookies, some parts or functionalities of our sites may be inaccessible or not function properly. For example, disabling cookies may require you to repeatedly enter information to take advantage of services.
Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our visitors, we are not able to respond to “Do Not Track” signals from your browser at this time.
We provide you with the ability to exercise certain rights and choices regarding your Personal Information. This Section describes your rights and how to exercise those rights.
To better protect you and your Personal Information, we will only respond to access or correction requests that we have been able to properly verify through our authentication processes. To verify your identity, you will be asked to provide several pieces of information, including, but not limited to, your name, address, email address and phone number. Once you submit an access or correction request, we will use this information to verify your identity. Once we have verified your identity, we will notify you that your request has been confirmed.
To submit an access or correction request, please email us at email@example.com. We will respond to your request within a reasonable time.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the Personal Information we hold (e.g. if it is a breach of confidentiality). If that happens, we will give you written reason for the refusal.
You may also request we amend any Personal Information we hold about you. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment we will add a note to the Personal Information stating that you disagree with it.
Email Marketing: Each time you receive newsletters or emails from us that directly promote the use of our products and services, or third-party products and services, you may request to stop receiving further communications from us. You will have the opportunity to “opt-out” by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the email or newsletter or by contacting us. To opt-out from receiving marketing and promotional emails, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at SquareTrade Australia Pty Ltd., Attn: Legal Department, Level 5/60 Martin Pl, Sydney NSW 2000.
If you opt-out from receiving marketing emails, we may still send you non-promotional emails such as emails about your products or services, our ongoing business relations, responses to your requests and enquiries, or service-related communications, including notices of any updates to terms and conditions or our privacy practices.
We operate globally and are likely to disclose the Personal Information that we collect and hold about you to our affiliates or partners companies, service providers, or third parties who are not in Australia (such as third parties who are located in the United States of America, Brazil, Vietnam and India) for one or more of the purposes set out in this Policy. Although some of these third parties may be located in countries that have less protective privacy and data protections laws than Australia, wherever your Personal Information is transferred, stored or processed by us, we take reasonable steps to safeguard the privacy of your Personal Information in accordance with privacy laws and to ensure that the overseas recipients of your Personal Information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your Personal Information.
Links to other companies’ sites may be provided on our sites as a convenience to you. If you choose to go to these external sites, you will be subject to the privacy practices of those external sites; we are not responsible for the privacy practices of those sites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our sites to read the privacy policies of every site you visit, as those privacy policies may differ from ours. Our Policy applies solely to the sites where this Policy appears.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We use a combination of reasonable technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect your Personal Information. However, no site, application, database or system is completely secure or “hacker proof.” So, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information against unauthorized disclosure or misuse.
We limit access to your Personal Information to those who need it to do their jobs. We comply with all applicable data security laws.
We may periodically update or revise this Policy. The date at the top of this page shows when this Policy was last revised. We will let you know when we update the Policy by changing the date or other appropriate means.